My Story of a Complete Lifestyle Change
I am 49 years old, married for 25 years, and mother of 5 wonderful children. I have made a complete lifestyle change! I’ve made a lot of mistakes along the way and learned many lessons the hard way. As a certified personal trainer, I desire to help others down this path with an honest, no-nonsense approach to health and fitness.
As a married, home-schooling mother of five children, I got busy and exercise and nutrition weren’t priorities. Suddenly in my 30’s, all 5″3′ of me tipped the scale at over 170 pounds. I didn’t feel good physically or emotionally. I lost 35 pound using a popular diet “plan” but had no plan for fitness. When I stopped following “the plan,” I gained some of the weight back and didn’t achieve long-term results.
In 2007, I began working with a personal trainer and loved learning how to exercise effectively and began running for the first time in my life. I quickly learned that I couldn’t out-train a bad diet. I felt stronger but didn’t see the results and changes I wanted. I just couldn’t seem to find the balance I needed. Life took many difficult and drastic twists and turns, and I realized I had to tackle both sides of the equation.
In 2011, I began working with a nutrition coach, Ruben Sandoval with Fit To Be In Your Kitchen. Pairing healthy eating with an exercise plan was exactly the complete lifestyle change I needed to make. I saw results both in terms of how I looked and how I felt! The weight came off.
Now – 2017 I’m in a new place in life. My lifestyle change started over 8 1/2 years ago weight comes and goes and I feel like I am always a “work in progress.” As I’ve aged and learned so much in the health and fitness industry, my perspective has really changed. Follow my blog to see where my journey has taken me and where I’m at now.
Training & Education
I am a certified personal trainer with the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) and am CPR/AED certified. I am trained in fitness and cardio-respiratory assessment, basic exercise science, cardio-respiratory, balance, flexibility, core, and resistance training, along with speed, agility, and reactive training. I have basic nutrition education along with a personal collection of great, healthy recipes I share on FaceBook.
Fun Info About Me
- I love learning about healthy eating and sharing recipes and nutrition tips and tricks.
- I LOVE teaching/coaching my group fitness class and I’ve recently fallen in love with CrossFit!
- I love to sweat, gross, I know!
- I’m a research junkie. I love to learn the truth behind all the crazy claims in the fitness industry.
- I had all 5 of my kids in just over 6 years.
- I’ve had the privilege of working with Ruben Sandoval, founder of Fit to Be In Your Kitchen, for 16 weeks!
- I’ve had 2 shoulder surgeries, a broken leg, hip surgery, knee issues, and have lost all the hearing in my left ear in the last 8 1/2 years, but I’ve never let that stop me from continuing my journey of health and fitness.
- I’m an approved Boot Camp instructor for Body & Soul Fitness.
- Trained for Camp Gladiator for 1 year before CG moved out of the OKC Market.
- I love orangutans and hope to someday go to Borneo and hold one in real life. Seriously!